Company Medical Officer (Psychiatry)
5 days left
- Part Time
We are Unum (pronounced you-num) and we’re one of the UK’s leading employee benefits companies. That means we sell Income Protection, Critical Illness cover, Life insurance and Dental insurance through the workplace. You may not have heard of us before, so you probably don’t know that we’ve been around for over 40 years and protect over 1.6 million people in the UK.
Purpose: To provide specialist medical advice and interpretation of medical records and reports to Unum’s Customer Care department, Medical Underwriters and all other areas of the company as appropriate to assist in the risk assessment and claims management process. For Psychiatry CMO, the focus will be on conditions related to psychiatric, psychological and behavioural health. Accountable for providing support to the Chief Medical Officer and Head of Claims to ensure medical standards are applied in supporting the company’s disability risk management.
- Participate in the development of the Customer Care Philosophy and take key responsibility for applying appropriate medical standards in support of the company’s disability risk management and medical underwriting.
- Apply the principles of disability assessment medicine to the claims assessment process to assist in the fair management of claims.
- Provide advice to our Medical Underwriters on issues relating to the evaluation of risks to ensure consistent and fair decisions are made.
- Support the Chief Medical Officer to ensure clinical governance and quality of our medical function (Doctor and Nurse teams)
- In conjunction with our Vocational Rehabilitation Consultants, assist in providing appropriate medical support to job retention and rehabilitation activities in order to prevent claims and / or reduce their duration.
- Work to maintain Unum’s leading position in the field of disability management and its relationship to work, through involvement in and promotion of research and educational activities and developing strategic industry and occupational health relationships.
- Maintain the ability to practice in accordance with the appropriate guidelines or codes of conduct laid down by the relevant professional bodies.
- Work with and assist our Customer Solutions Department in developing relationships with key clients and providers in order to improve customer relations where appropriate.
- Ensure the continued protection of Unum’s information, by following all applicable Information Security policies and procedures and by reporting suspected weaknesses in information security controls to the Information Security Officer.
- Embed and contribute to the Conduct Risk Framework, wider Solvency II systems of governance principles, Treating Customers Fairly requirements and the Risk Management Framework as it applies to the role and divisional activities and drive improvements as required.
- Comply with Unum’s Code of Conduct and other Company Policies and Procedures as appropriate to the role and drive the behaviours of others.
- Delivers Results
Sets high goals for self and team; ensures day to day activities of others are aligned to achieve team and area goals; uses effective measurements to monitor progress against those goals; holds individuals accountable for results.
- Builds Talent
Takes bold action to ensure strong, diverse talent and leadership pipeline in place to meet our aggressive business goals. Develops, coaches and engages people to higher levels of performance.
- Makes Effective Decisions
Applies critical thinking to make good fact-based decisions with a sense of urgency after assessing potential business implications holistically; shows good judgment in options selected.
- Strong Business Acumen
Applies broad business understanding of internal and external trends and financial considerations to leverage business process and technology opportunities, meet evolving customer needs, and ensure successful implementation of unit/area plans.
- Engages Employees in Implementing the Vision
Inspires individuals toward higher levels of performance; fosters commitment to organization's mission; ensures that others understand their role in achieving area and business priorities.
- Values Driven
Interacts with others, internally and externally, in a way that gives them confidence in one's intentions and those of the organization; operates with highest integrity/ethics; demonstrates strong support of our communities.
- Need to Know and ICOB training
- Continuous Professional Training at least sufficient to maintain registration with the General Medical Council and maintain any specialist accreditation
- Training in systems in use at Unum (AWD, CMS) On the job familiarisation and orientation into Income Protection Insurance
Required Knowledge and Skills (Company Medical Officer):
- Registered Medical Practitioner.
- Significant experience post-registration.
- Able to assess information on claimants regarding suitability for benefits payments.
- Able to explain medical conditions and terminology to non-medical colleagues, so that they are able to make informed decisions.
- Able to train non-medical colleagues in understanding medical terminology and on the impact of health on ability.
- Ability to use systems – AWD, Outlook, CMS, Wise, Sure.
- Good knowledge of products and the nature of the business.
- Good understanding of the disability provisions of the Equality Act and its applicability in employment situations.
- Proven experience in disability assessment medicine/Occupational Health preferred.
- Possession of the DDAM preferred.
- Experience and possession of a qualification in Occupational Medicine (Dip Occ Med, AFOM or MFOM) would be an advantage.
Additional Knowledge and Skills (Company Medical Officer - Psychiatry):
- Able to assess information relating to psychiatric, psychological and behavioural issues on claimants regarding suitability for benefits payments.
- In possession of MRCPsych and significant post-registration experience as a consultant psychiatrist.
- Experience in medico-legal work, disability assessment and / or occupational health is preferable.
- Experience and possession of an additional qualification in Occupational Medicine (Dip Occ Med or AFOM) would be an advantage.
This is a great opportunity to work for a UK subsidiary of a global organisation, we look after our employees, offer a great work-life balance, generous benefits, a professional challenge and fantastic career opportunities.
Unum are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
As a recognised Disability Confident Employer, Unum is committed to providing adjustments for people with disabilities during all phases of the hiring process. Please reach out to us to let us know if you if you require accommodations on the basis of a disability. Please send any requests to CareersUK@unum.co.uk