Locum Consultant in ICM and Anaesthetics
- We are extremely proud to be one of only 10 critical care services to be rated as “Outstanding” by the CQC.
- The anaesthetic department received the prestigious “Anaesthetic and Peri-operative Team of the year” award at the recent 2019 BMJ awards.
- We are a friendly group of committed individuals who are passionate about improving patient care and safety. If you share this passion, we’d love you to join us.
- Non-resident on call is on 1 in 10 rota basis with 2 consultants covering each unit every morning
- The 2 posts are Locum posts initially for a 6 months period which can likely be extended or converted to substantive posts.
- Posts will be based cross sites at City Hospital in Birmingham and Sandwell Hospital in West Bromwich, with a total of initially 10 programmed Activities (PAs).
- Additional clinical PAs may be offered at job planning.
- Posts are based on 5 full weeks of critical care per year, 24 additional morning sessions/year in critical care (2nd CC consultant), 1.0 clinical PA for unpredictable on-call cover and 1.3 clinical PA for predictable on-call cover.
- The remaining DCC time will be for theatre sessions. Theatre sessions are negotiable and can be catered to individuals sub-speciality interests.
- The department fully supports all Consultant colleagues’ professional development and in addition to study leave and a generous study budget, up to 2.5 programmed activities are allocated to Supporting Professional activities.
- Interest in teaching, governance and risk management, simulation training and supervision of trainees and specialty doctors is highly desirable.
- There is a strong focus on critical care ultrasonography and echocardiography, with state-of-the-art equipment supporting focused echocardiography and bedside ultrasonography. Our consultants who are FICE accredited conduct regular teaching sessions.
- There is ongoing significant investment in equipment with new ventilators, monitoring, dialysis and fully integrated patient record system in place or approved for 2019/20.
- The new Midland Metropolitan Hospital, with a state-of the art critical care facility, is scheduled to open in 2022.