Consultant Physician in Elderly Care Medicine and Frailty
The Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust are looking to appoint three additional Consultants in Elderly Care Medicine and Frailty.This post is aimed at expanding the department of Elderly Care Medicine and developing the ‘front door’ Acute Frailty Service in line with the national focus on delivering excellent care to frail older patients in hospital.
Candidates for this role must have full GMC registration with a licence to practise.
At The Trust, There are 3 Elderly Care Physicians, 1 Associate Specialist and 1 Specialty Doctor in post at the Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust:
- Dr Shu Ho has a special interest in Falls and leads the well Orthogeriatrics service (and also works at the Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital in Oswestry),
- Dr Suzy Thompson has a special interest in Acute Frailty and Movement Disorders
- Dr Nigel Mike has a special interest in GIM and Nutrition.
- Dr Erica Capps (Associate Specialist) supports Elderly Care services at Telford and has expertise in Movement Disorders
- Dr Sai Kumar (Specialty Doctor) specialises in Orthogeriatrics liaison and rehabilitation at Shrewsbury.
There are 4 additional Stroke Physicians based at the Princess Royal Hospital, Telford with Acute stroke services, Dr Uttam Sinha, Dr Meena Srinivasan, Dr Indranil Mukherjee and Dr Owen David.
The Trust and CCGs are working together to address patients needs and develop responsive services for older frail patients. The post holder will be expected to be part of building on current services to deliver Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment in the Emergency Department and Acute Medical Units. They will be expected to work closely with the teams in the ED and AMU to improve care for frail older patients. The post holder will supervise a team of 2 ACPs, the current Registrars in Elderly care you will be supported by therapies and social workers to deliver rapid assessment, treatment and as much as possible rapid discharge to community services. The Trust is being supported by both local CCGs and the Acute Frailty Network.
The Trust also has Specialist Nurses who provide clinical services with all Consultants. There are 2 Parkinson’s Disease Nurse Specialists, a Dementia Nurse Specialist and a Stroke Nurse specialist.
There is an active interest in teaching at all levels in the department in association with Keele Medical School and the West Midlands Deanery. The post holder will be encouraged to participate in teaching and supported in research that benefits the department. There are on-going audits of services including national audits in falls, Dementia and Parkinson’s disease.
The Trust is proud to have been selected through a highly competitive national process to partner with the Virginia Mason Institute in Seattle, widely regarded as one of the safest Hospitals in the World. This partnership will see Doctors, Nurses and Allied Health Professionals working together with colleagues from Virginia Mason and across the Country to transform Healthcare at The Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust and share our learning across the Country.
For an informal discussion, further details or to arrange a visit please contact:
- Dr Suzy Thompson - Consultant Physician and Geriatrician: 01743 261697
- Dr Saskia Jones-Perrott - Assistant Care Group Medical Director Unscheduled Care: 01743 492397
- Dr Kevin Eardley – Unscheduled Care Group Medical Director: 01743 261105
To apply for this post, please click on the APPLY button.
Closing date: Thursday, 22nd August 2019 (Midnight)