Consultant in Emergency Medicine
NHS Grampian are looking to recruit Emergency Medicine Consultants to join our established team based at a Major Trauma Centre in the North East of Scotland serving a region stretching from the Cairngorm mountains to the North Sea oil rigs. This recruitment drive will increase our Consultant team to 18, with the future aim as part of a planned development of the service towards a total of 24 Consultants.
The Emergency Department at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary is based in the Emergency Care Centre (ECC), a £110m purpose-designed facility to provide an integrated Unscheduled Care Service which opened in December 2012. The Emergency Department includes dedicated areas for major and minor presentations, a resuscitation room, dedicated diagnostics, assessment and observation facilities. It is co-located with the primary care Out of Hours service and is physically linked to the Royal Aberdeen Children’s Hospital whose Emergency Department for Paediatric presentations is covered clinically by the same body of Consultants as the adult department.
These posts will allow successful candidates to develop sub-specialty interests in, but not exclusively, Trauma, Pre hospital and retrieval medicine, Paediatrics and ITU/Critical Care if desired.
NHS Grampian is a teaching Health Board with strong links to the University of Aberdeen and the Robert Gordon University. The ECC is part of the Foresterhill Health Campus in Aberdeen together with the University of Aberdeen Medical School. As one of the largest hospital complexes in Europe the site houses all clinical specialties with the exception of organ transplantation and Paediatric ITU. NHS Grampian provides healthcare for a population of 540,000, with around 40% living within Aberdeen City and the remaining 60% in the picturesque towns and rural communities of Aberdeenshire and Moray. The Emergency Departments at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary and Royal Aberdeen Children’s Hospital see around 95,000 attendances combined each year. The successful applicants are likely to be accorded the title of Honorary Senior Lecturer from the University of Aberdeen.
NHS Grampian provides the perfect solution to all interests and lifestyles. Aberdeen has the most buoyant economy in the UK outside of London and offers all the attractions of any major city. Aberdeenshire boasts many picturesque towns and villages within easy commuting distance and provides access to an enormous range of outdoor pursuits, ranging from fishing to skiing. Excellent transport links ensure that Edinburgh and Glasgow are less than 2 hours by train and the ever expanding Aberdeen airport has multiple flights daily to London (1 hour) and many other destinations across the UK and Europe.
NHS Grampian welcomes applications from both newly qualified and established Consultants in Emergency Medicine to join and expand a diverse, enthusiastic and dedicated team.
Full registration with a licence to practise with the GMC is required. For more information visit www.gmc-uk.org
Those trained in the UK should have evidence of higher specialist training leading to CCT or be within 6 months of confirmed entry from date of interview or eligibility for specialist registration (CESR).
Informal enquiries to: Dr Donna Paterson, Service Clinical Director on (01224) 553525 or Ms Valerie Fox, Divisional Operational Manager on (01224) 558078.
Apply for this post by clicking the apply button and search for the above Ref No.
Closing date: Sunday, 1 September 2019.