Consultant in Nuclear Medicine
DIRECTORATE: UNPLANNED AND INTEGRATED CARE
Band: As per New Consultant Contract
Salary: As per New Consultant Contract
Here at Medway, we pride ourselves on working together as one to ensure that our shared vision of Better, Best, Brilliant is achieved.
With strong leadership the day to day experience for our teams is a great one, staff are valued, excellent quality care is provided and the passion for continuous improvement is high.
Our Trust is a great choice for people who want to develop their career in an ambitious and dynamic environment; we also offer an excellent benefits package which includes onsite childcare facilities, various salary sacrifice schemes and a generous annual leave entitlement.
We are recruiting for a Consultant in Nuclear Medicine who shares our ambition and vision to deliver the Best of Care by the Best People and has the drive to take us forward, by ensuring that the Trust continues to be the first choice for patients and our staff.
- The successful post holder will be expected to undertake core activities of nuclear medicine scan reporting and radio iodine therapy supervision. The department at present is responsible for thyroid clinics which apart from seeing pts needing radio iodine are the lump and rapid access clinics for the trust and the consultants have a particular close working relationship with the thyroid surgeons. It is anticipated the new appointment will involve themselves in the thyroid clinical work and attend the monthly thyroid MDM. There would be opportunity to be involved in PET/CT reporting and the metabolic bone clinics and both of these aspects would be desirable but not essential at the outset. PET/CT reporting would offer the opportunity to be involved in other MDM’s. Bone density reporting skills would be useful and the possibility to get involved in Metabolic bone clinic.
- As a Consultant in Nuclear Medicine you will expected to take part in clinical governance activity, including clinical audit, clinical guideline and protocol development and clinical risk management. The Clinical Governance Lead for Radiology is currently Dr Sebastian All consultants are expected to produce evidence of their contribution in these areas and audit of their own clinical work as part of their annual appraisal. Consultant staff is expected to lead on the investigation and compilation of reports relating to any complaints or critical incidents involving staff and patients as directed and to ensure that the findings are acted upon and lessons learnt. All consultants will play their role in fulfilling the “Duty of Candour” process.
- The Consultant in Nuclear Medicine will work in partnership with Dr Maria Acosta and Dr Paul Ryan (Retiring), Radiology and other relevant clinical specialities.
- The role will involve reporting imaging studies, vetting scans, discussing cases with the technical and nursing staff, overseeing cardiac studies and reporting urgent cases. Therapies as in and out pts require supervision with in patients appropriate admission clerking, supervision during stay and discharge. Outpatient activity is related to the thyroid work which includes the range of thyroid disorders and the thyroid cancer pathway lump clinic. Thyroid cancer patients are also treated and followed up through the clinic. Osteoporosis work has been run by Nuclear Medicine since the mid 1990’s. This has a good fit as DEXA is supervised and run from within the nuclear medicine department with studies reported by Nuclear Medicine.
- In addition, you will supervise rotating trainees in collaboration with Maidstone and with East Kent in the future under the Kent training scheme approved with the new curriculum.
Our culture and values are what drives Medway NHS Foundation Trust and is the heartbeat of who we are as an organisation. It is important that you understand and to refer to our values when you are completing your application and always reflect our values throughout your employment with the Trust.
Our values are Bold, Every Person Counts, Sharing and Open and Together. We are inspiring and ambitious, respectful and supportive, open and we speak up, we are inclusive and responsible.
To contribute to our exciting future and become part of our team, apply today via the apply click button.
Closing date is 14th July 2019.
Interview date: TBC
We are committed to Equality of Opportunity for everyone and will guarantee an interview to any disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria.