Company Medical Officer (Psychiatry)
We are Unum (pronounced you-num) and we’re one of the UK’s leading employee benefits companies. That means we sell Income Protection, Critical Illness cover, Life insurance and Dental insurance through the workplace. You may not have heard of us before, so you probably don’t know that we’ve been around for over 40 years and protect over 1.6 million people in the UK.
To provide specialist medical advice and interpretation of medical records and reports to Unum’s Customer Care department, Medical Underwriters and all other areas of the company as appropriate to assist in the risk assessment and claims management process. For Psychiatry CMO, the focus will be on conditions related to psychiatric, psychological and behavioural health. Accountable for providing support to the Chief Medical Officer and Head of Claims to ensure medical standards are applied in supporting the company’s disability risk management.
- Need to Know and ICOB training
- Continuous Professional Training at least sufficient to maintain registration with the General Medical Council and maintain any specialist accreditation
- Training in systems in use at Unum (AWD, CMS) On the job familiarisation and orientation into Income Protection Insurance
Required Knowledge and Skills (Company Medical Officer):
- Registered Medical Practitioner.
- Significant experience post-registration.
- Able to assess information on claimants regarding suitability for benefits payments.
- Able to explain medical conditions and terminology to non-medical colleagues, so that they are able to make informed decisions.
- Able to train non-medical colleagues in understanding medical terminology and on the impact of health on ability.
- Ability to use systems – AWD, Outlook, CMS, Wise, Sure.
- Good knowledge of products and the nature of the business.
- Good understanding of the disability provisions of the Equality Act and its applicability in employment situations.
- Proven experience in disability assessment medicine/Occupational Health preferred.
- Possession of the DDAM preferred.
- Experience and possession of a qualification in Occupational Medicine (Dip Occ Med, AFOM or MFOM) would be an advantage.
Additional Knowledge and Skills (Company Medical Officer - Psychiatry):
- Able to assess information relating to psychiatric, psychological and behavioural issues on claimants regarding suitability for benefits payments.
- In possession of MRCPsych and significant post-registration experience as a consultant psychiatrist.
- Experience in medico-legal work, disability assessment and / or occupational health is preferable.
- Experience and possession of an additional qualification in Occupational Medicine (Dip Occ Med or AFOM) would be an advantage.
This is a great opportunity to work for a UK subsidiary of a global organisation, we look after our employees, offer a great work-life balance, generous benefits, a professional challenge and fantastic career opportunities.
Unum are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
As a recognised Disability Confident Employer, Unum is committed to providing adjustments for people with disabilities during all phases of the hiring process. Please reach out to us to let us know if you if you require accommodations on the basis of a disability. Please send any requests to CareersUK@unum.co.uk
To apply for this post, please click the apply button.