Consultant Cellular Pathologist (Histopathology)
Consultant in Cellular Pathology
This forward-thinking, well-equipped and friendly department is looking for a Cellular Pathologist to add to the current team of substantive Consultants based at Peterborough City Hospital.
The Cellular Pathology department at Peterborough City Hospital has recently been awarded funding by the regional Cancer Alliance to implement full digital histopathology reporting. Procurement options are currently being examined, and full implementation is expected to occur during 2019. This presents an exciting opportunity for the successful candidate to be involved in establishing digital reporting in an expanding department.
The department has a medical equipment service provided by Roche which has recently been renegotiated; in this context, we expect to expand our in-house molecular testing of tumours (to include lung and colorectal cancers, melanomas etc.) within the next few months.
The departmental workload includes large amounts of breast, colorectal and urological pathology. An interest in one or more of these areas is desirable, although any special interest usually found in a district general hospital may be accommodated. The department does not report cervical cytopathology. Generalist reporting skills are essential and cross cover for multidisciplinary team meetings will be required. Those wishing to work less than full-time are welcome to apply.
- Competitive relocation packages may be available by negotiation with the Trust
- Additional programmed activities up to 12 PAs are available to all full-time appointees, subject to appropriate job planning
- Additionally paid overtime is currently available to all consultants
- Equal opportunities to undertake private practice and post-mortems are available to new appointees (subject to appropriate qualifications and Trust approval, and by agreement with Ramsay Healthcare and HM Coroner respectively)
- Flexible working patterns, including working from home, are accommodated within the department and will be enhanced by the introduction of digital histopathology
- A time-limited, day release programme of sub-specialist training may be negotiated with the local specialist centre(s)
The case mix is that normally seen in a district general hospital, with a wide range of specimens received from local hospitals and GPs. The department supports cervical (histopathology only), breast and bowel cancer NHS screening programmes and has close links with Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge, which is our local tertiary referral centre. There are also opportunities to participate in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching. The department currently has two trainee posts. All the pathology specialities have full ISO15189 accreditation.
Candidates for this post should hold the FRCPath or equivalent and either be on or within six months of entry to, the GMC Specialist Register at the time of interview.
Peterborough is a pleasant East Anglian city with excellent transport links to all parts of the country, including a regular sub-50-minute train service to London. It is surrounded by beautiful countryside and villages and has an excellent school system.
The Trust operates a no-smoking policy. Staff are not permitted to smoke on Trust premises. We are an equal opportunities employer.
For further details / informal visits contact:
- Dr David Bailey, Clinical Lead, 01733 677812, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr Lukasz Adamczyk, Deputy Clinical Lead 01733 677812, email@example.com
- Dr Suzy Lishman, Consultant Histopathologist, 01733 677802, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr Liz Astall, Consultant Histopathologist 01733 677812, email@example.com
- Dr Sateesh Nagumantry, Associate Divisional Director (Pathology), Family and Integrated Support Services Division, 01733 678428, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ms Kate Campbell, Pathology Services Manager, 01733 678440, email@example.com
To apply please click the "apply" button and quote the job reference number 176-JT-FISS-1403732-B
Closing Date is 24-May-2019.