Deputy Medical Director and Consultant in Palliative Medicine
WTE with On Call 1:6
St Christopher’s Hospice has pioneered supportive and palliative care in inpatient, day care and the community for 50 years. We serve five boroughs in SE London comprising around 1.5 million people. We operate from two sites: Sydenham, which includes 38 specialist beds, and Orpington. With 350 staff and about 1,000 volunteers, St Christopher’s supports 3,000 patients and their families each year as they engage with death and dying and the complexities that it brings to their lives. We are also a teaching and research active organisation.
As the cradle of hospice, palliative and end of life care, we have a responsibility to lead into the future. The demography of patients and families is both growing and changing, the NHS and Social Care faces significant challenges and the ways in which care will have to be delivered is uncertain. Palliative medicine must respond to these.
This is an exciting post, shaped to help meet these challenges. It is ideally suited to an established consultant with the vision and intent to be a leader in the specialty and hospice sector, but an exceptional newly accredited physician with evident potential and a track record of leadership will be welcome to apply. Flexibility will be built into the post and its responsibilities to accommodate the skills aspirations and developmental needs of the right candidate. Its key characteristics focus on leadership, education, collaboration and clinical care by:
- Deputising for the medical director strategically and operationally;
- Leading on postgraduate medical education, specialty training and developing opportunities to deliver education and training locally, regionally, nationally and internationally from our new Learning Hub;
- Working with the Clinical Academic Group in palliative care based at the Cicely Saunders Institute (CSI) to develop the role of St Christopher’s as a clinical and academic collaborator;
- Supporting innovations and developments in palliative and end of life care here and elsewhere;
- Contributing, as part St Christopher’s consultant team, expert clinical advice and interventions to patients, families and carers under our care role by modelling multidisciplinary and multi- agency practice. This will include a specific role in building and maintaining effective clinical links with King’s College Hospital (KCH)
Interested applicants are encouraged to visit the hospice to discuss the post in more detail, please contact HR to arrange this.
To download an application pack, including full job description, please visit www.stchristophers.org.uk/jobs. Completed applications can be posted to the HR Department or by clicking the apply button as can requests to visit St Christopher’s and discuss the post in more detail.
Closing date: 29 April 2019
Interview Date: 8 May 2019
Apply for Deputy Medical Director and Consultant in Palliative Medicine
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly