Chief Medical Officer
Chief Medical Officer
Salary circa £200,000 (subject to Ministerial approval)
The Department for Health and Social Care is seeking to appoint a Chief Medical Officer (CMO) for England. The CMO will be the UK Government’s most senior medical adviser and responsible for providing expert advice on a wide range of public health issues.
As ‘the nation’s doctor’, the CMO will need to be an outstanding clinical leader, who commands the confidence of Ministers, the public and the medical profession. The CMO will need to build successful and collaborative relationships with industry, employers, civil society and other key partners to challenge them to take a bigger role in and responsibility for the public’s health. The CMO will have a considerable national profile and will represent the UK internationally on public health issues.
- Provide clear, independent and evidence based advice to the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, and the government of the day
- Support the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care in strengthening the Government’s collective effort to improve the health and wellbeing of people in England
- Lead national and international responses to public health emergencies and present advice to the highest levels of government
- An outstanding, medically qualified leader with wide professional experience and credibility with the professions, and exceptional communication skills
- Proven ability to work with and across other organisations and sectors to deliver common goals, and an ability to manage highly complex relationships
- Well-developed political awareness to secure the confidence of a wide range of stakeholders, and the energy and resilience to operate under high levels of scrutiny
For further details on how to apply and a candidate information pack, please click the apply button.
The closing date for applications is 9am Thursday 2 May.
For an initial discussion about the role, please contact email@example.com
The Department of Health and Social Care values and promotes diversity and is committed to equality for all.