Full/part time substantive
Applications are sought for 2 Consultant Anaesthetists at one of Europe’s leading hospital sites in the new Brunel Building at Southmead Hospital opened in May 2014.
North Bristol NHS Trust is the largest Trust in the South-West region providing medical, surgical, neonatal and maternity care for a population of almost a million people in the Bristol, South Gloucestershire and North Somerset area, employing more than 9,300 staff, with a revenue budget in excess of £500 million.
The Brunel Building has 802 beds 75% of which are single occupancy. The Women’s and Children’s Centre has a further 152 beds. There is a modern theatre complex over 2 floors of 29 theatres and interventional suites. Individual multipurpose medirooms provide the environment for admission, recovery and discharge, and offer the facility for performing regional blocks. There is a state of the art 46 bed Intensive Care Unit (ICU) adjacent to the operating theatres, emergency department and imaging.
The Brunel Building has brought together the specialist teams formerly based at Frenchay Hospital and Southmead Hospital. These include regional adult services in Orthopaedics, Plastic Surgery and Burns, Neurosurgery, Vascular surgery, Urology and Renal services. NBT is a designated Major Trauma Centre servicing the Severn Network in the South West.
Relevant clinical activity includes:
- Vascular Network – one of the largest in Europe, centralised in the SW to NBT in Oct 2014
- Expanding regional anaesthesia service providing support to trauma and plastic surgery
- Colorectal centre – largest number of cancer cases in Avon, Somerset and Gloucester
- Bristol Urology Institute– tertiary referral centre for the South West and specialist robotic surgery
- Specialist Elective Orthopaedic Centre – largest in the South West.
- Major Trauma Centre for SW
- Largest unit for managing patients with #NOF in the region – 460 cases per year.
- Busiest Neurosurgical centre in the country – a regional tertiary centre, active research and clinical trial agenda with innovative treatments not delivered elsewhere in the UK.
- Plastics – only unit in 160-mile radius
- Burns Unit
- Breast Care Centre – third largest in the country
- Busy Obstetric Unit with 6500 deliveries per year
- Pain Clinic with an international reputation for Spinal Cord Stimulator insertion
The Trust has teaching status and is linked with the University of Bristol and the University of the West of England. The appointee will be required to reside no more than 30 minutes travelling time (by road) from the Southmead Hospital site for on-call purposes.
Interested applicants are welcome to contact Dr James Nickells, Consultant Anaesthetist & Anaesthetic Specialty Lead, Telephone: (0117) 4145114 Email: James.Nickells@nbt.nhs.uk
Applicants are required to be on the Specialist Register and have a CCT in Anaesthesia or be within six months of obtaining it by the interview date. Full Registration with the GMC is essential. The post is based at Southmead Hospital. Experience and familiarity with UK hospital systems and practices or equivalent is essential. The successful candidate will be employed under Terms & Conditions of Service for Consultants (England) 2003.
If you are shortlisted, we will contact you by email with details of your interview of which you will need to confirm your attendance. Therefore, it is important that you check your online account regularly.
Salary range - £77,913 to £105,042
Closing date: 7th April 2019.
Interview date: 7th May 2019.
Job Reference: 339-MPHEL568.
Please note: CVs are not used in the shortlisting process. If you are shortlisted your CV will be made available to the Formal and Informal interview panel.
To apply please click the Apply button.
Committed to equal opportunities, job share applications welcome.