Head of Department (m/f) Microbiology
Laboratoire national de santé (Luxembourg public institution) is recruiting a Head of Department (m/f) Microbiology
Full time (40h/week), permanent contract
Starting at the earliest convenience
About the LNS The Luxembourg National Health Laboratory, “Laboratoire national de santé” (LNS) is a rapidly growing public institution with over 300 staff, operating as a multidisciplinary institute. It encompasses six scientific departments related to the fields of morphological and molecular pathology, genetics, clinical biochemistry, microbiology, forensic medicine and health protection (www.lns.lu).
The LNS has new premises with modern, state of the art infrastructure to respond to the requirements and most recent developments in medical and analytical sciences. The aim of the LNS is to develop analytical and scientific expertise related to the prevention, diagnosis and monitoring of human
diseases; to fulfil the role of a national control and reference laboratory and to provide medico-legal services.
The LNS also engages in research and teaching activities in collaboration with partners in Luxembourg including the Hospitals, the University of Luxembourg and the Luxembourg Institute of Health.
Luxembourg is an area of outstanding natural beauty, a superb infrastructure and healthcare facilities.
It offers a high quality of life and gives access to a large range of excellent state and private schools.
About the Department of Microbiology
In order to meet the challenging demands ahead, the LNS is now looking for a forward driving Head of Department (chef de département) to promote clinical outreach, support antibiotic stewardship, expand public health microbiology reference activities, increase activity, develop laboratory capacity and dynamically involve this multidisciplinary team in international and national surveillance networks and research.
The Department of Microbiology is subdivided into three services each of which is managed by a service head:
- Bacteriology, Mycology, Antibiotic Resistance monitoring, and Infection Prevention and Control
- Virology and Serology
- Microbial Genomics and Epidemiology
The department offers a large range of state-of-the-art technical equipment, including a Maldi-Tof, a SIRSCAN, a complete molecular biology platform including Illumina NGS facilities and a dedicated BSL level three laboratory. It is a key player in Luxembourg’s national strategy to combat antimicrobial
resistance: “Plan National Antibiotiques 2018-2022” (http://www.sante.public.lu/fr/actualites/2017/06/plan-national-antibiotiques/index.html).
The department provides timely national infectious diseases surveillance data including influenza, foodborne pathogens, antibiotic resistance to national and international competent authorities (ECDC and EFSA).
The department has initiated and managed several externally funded research projects (FNR, PMC): the primary focus has been to develop and evaluate metagenomic approaches for diagnostic and public health microbiology purposes (in particular HPV, Campylobacter and meningo-encephalitis and most recently Candida albicans).
The candidate will be in a unique and highly desirable position that allows influencing clinical microbiology in Luxembourg. The candidate will:
- Lead a dynamic, fully integrated department maintaining close interaction with governmental and non-governmental stakeholders
- Oversee the day-to-day activity of an ISO 15189 and 17025 accredited laboratory and enhance service level provision, currently expanding its scope in virology, mycology, mycobacteriology and microbial genomics
- Create new collaborations and develop key stake holder relationships
- Interact with other LNS departments and stimulate collaborations in the field of public health and health protection
- Liaise with stakeholders and actively stimulate research in public health and One Health microbiology in Luxembourg
- Actively promote antibiotic stewardship
- Actively participate in the implementation of the “Plan National Antibiotiques” as well as establishing a focus on clinical liaison with the main hospitals in Luxembourg and thus create new
synergies and build key client relationships
- Participate in the LNS surveillance responsibilities at national and European level
- The candidate will be a Microbiologist (m/f) or Expert in Infectious Diseases (m/f) either with a background of Medical Doctor (médecin ou pharmacien biologiste spécialisé en microbiologie ou maladies infectieuses, virologie / Facharzt für Mikrobiologie, Virologie und Infektionsepidemiologie) or alternatively have a proven track record in leading a clinical microbiology department
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong management skills, decision making and ability to focus on priorities
- Team player filling a role in the Leadership team
- Attaching great importance to the daily service provided to doctors and patients
- Able to coach and motivate employees
- Expertise in public health microbiology reference activities including NGS
- Knowledge of ISO 15189 and ISO17025 norms and accreditation
- The successful candidates will be offered a highly competitive salary, depending on qualification and experience, plus an annual premium
For more information on the position, please contact:
Prof. Friedrich Mühlschlegel, FRCPath, FRSB, Facharzt für Mikrobiologie, Virologie und Infektionsepidemiologie / Médecin-spécialiste en microbiologie-bactériologie, Director LNS.
Mobile phone : +352 621 206 731;
If you feel you meet the above profile requirements and wish to apply, please send your application (CV, letter of intent and copies of your degrees) via the application button below.
In case of an application from a médecin ou pharmacien biologiste spécialisé en microbiologie ou maladies infectieuses / Facharzt für Mikrobiologie, Virologie und Infektionsepidemiologie) you must be eligible to obtain a license to practice (autorisation d’excercer) in Luxembourg.
The applications will be treated with the highest degree of confidentiality.