Medico Legal Consultants
6 days left
- Full Time
Based in Leeds – Permanent
Salary circa £85,000 - £95,000 including benefits, plus 12% Pension, PMI & Cashplan
Medical Protection Society (MPS) is the world’s leading protection organisation for doctors, dentists and healthcare professionals. We protect and support the professional interests of more than 300,000 members around the world, in countries as diverse as the United Kingdom, South Africa and Hong Kong.
We strive to be much more than a last line of defence by being at our members’ side at every step, offering support, advice and world-class defence. Membership provides access to expert advice and support together with the right to request indemnity for complaints or claims arising from professional practice.
We currently have a requirement for 2 Medicolegal Consultants (MLC) on a Permanent contract, based in our Leeds office.
As an MLC you will work closely with your colleagues across the wider department in order to provide support to members through Criminal, Disciplinary, Inquest and Regulatory cases.
MLCs are responsible for providing medicolegal advisory services but are also required to focus on strengthening the relationship with our members, the promotion of MPS and the interests of our members and the wider profession by means of education, teaching and involvement with external stakeholders and events.
The nature of the role means our MLCs are required to provide support, knowledge and mentoring to other colleagues and will sometimes be required to travel to offsite meetings and/or other MPS offices.
- Advising members by telephone and in correspondence, about a wide variety of medicolegal and ethical issues affecting their professional practice. This can include, but is not limited to: disciplinary, inquests and regulatory investigations, or a combination of one or more of these.
- Investigating and evaluating cases affecting members where there may be a wide spectrum of potential risk to members’ professional standing. Making regular case-handling decisions, such as when to instruct legal advisers, taking into account the requirements of the individual case and member, in an effective and efficient manner.
- To work collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary team and to contribute to achieving team targets; to ensure cases are handled effectively and efficiently by making good use of the resources available within the team by showing leadership and support to other members of the team, and the organisation as a whole.
- Attending meetings as part of the handling of the handling of individual cases, supporting and counselling members, and working collaboratively with Legal Advisers
- Representing members’ interest in a wide variety of circumstances.
- The job holder is required to have both graduate and, ideally, post graduate medical degrees and/or diplomas and to be fully registered (and licensed where appropriate ) with a recognised regulator (e.g. GMC, HPCSA)
- Post graduate experience in clinical medicine.
- A clear understanding of the legal and ethical principles that apply in relation to medical practice in the United Kingdom
- A degree in Medical/Healthcare Ethics and Law is desirable, but not essential.
- Demonstrable presentation and coaching skills
If you are interested in applying for this position please send your CV via email by clicking the apply button for the attention of Sarah Speechly.
Apply for Medico Legal Consultants
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly