Palliative Medicine Specialist
"Death, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Totara. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds of collaboration, to seek out quality of life and new innovations, to boldly go where no one has gone before."
Palliative Medicine Specialist
- A unique opportunity for an experienced Palliative Medicine Specialist to work within one of the largest Hospice providers of Specialist Palliative Care in New Zealand.
- The hours are negotiable from 24 - 40 hours a week (0.6 FTE to 1.0 FTE)
- Make a difference for people and their families/whanau in the South and South East Auckland community by helping us Make Hospice Happen
Honour living, dignify dying
Provide leading edge hospice palliative care services to individuals and their families, care networks and communities.
Pride and Passion / Professionalism / Partnership and Inclusion / Compassion and Respect / Innovation and Collaboration
Our Operating Purpose:
Operate a sustainable, high quality, high touch, outcomes based Hospice for the diverse communities of South and South East Auckland.
Totara Hospice South Auckland (THSA) is nestled in the heart of the biggest of the Pacific Islands - South Auckland New Zealand which is one of the most ethnically/culturally diverse areas in the world, where hundreds of languages are spoken with people from all walks of life. This is the super city’s largest and most rapidly growing region with a complex and diverse demographic, for more than three decades.
Reporting to the Clinical Director, the Palliative Medicine Specialist will provide high standards of medical care within a holistic Hospice service.
This position is primarily responsible for but not limited to;
- Specialist assessment and management of patients both in community settings and the in-patient unit of THSA
- Providing specialist palliative care advice to external health professionals on patient care
- Provide ongoing assessment of patients in day hospice programmes, and outpatient clinics or on domiciliary visits
- Provide on-call duty service after hours
- Provide clinical cross cover for the Specialist Palliative Care Team (SPCT) of Middlemore Hospital when required
- Contribute where appropriate to Hospice clinical, educational & research activities
- Actively participate in the strategic direction of the organization and the smooth running of the medical team
Wanting to make the world a better place for dying people and their families?
You will have excellent clinical knowledge and a practice base in Palliative Care. You will also have an evidenced reputation for being able to work with a diverse range of care providers and demonstrated skills in working with care providers whilst keeping the patient and family at the centre.
The successful candidate must have:
- Specialist qualification in Palliative Medicine, recognised by the RACP and the Medical Council of New Zealand
- Minimum 2 years post-specialist qualification in a credentialed palliative care institution
- Experience working within a multi-disciplinary team
- Excellent English language communication skills – both verbal and written
- Experience in both hospital and hospice settings would be an added advantage
Come and join us in forging the future of palliative care.
For more information please contact James Jap, Clinical Director directly on email@example.com
- To apply please share a CV and cover letter by clicking the apply button.
- Please ensure to include in your application details of your achievements relevant to the job description and person specifications above.
- An initial triage of applications is made against the above criteria and failure to address how you meet these explicitly will affect your application.
- This position offers a relocation package along with relocation assistance and support for your transition and settlement into a new country.