Drivers Medical Senior Doctor
Swansea, Wales SA6 7JL
As a visible member of the Drivers Medical senior leadership team, you will act on behalf of DVLA working closely with the Secretary of State’s Honorary Medical Advisory Panels, Research Groups and with UK & European policy colleagues to ensure the effective application of the medical standards for driver licensing in Great Britain. You will advise the medical profession on medical aspects of fitness to drive, deliver lectures and presentations to medical colleagues and other interested groups to promote a wider understanding of fitness to drive standards. Above all you will introduce and maintain governance structures for our teams of DVLA Doctor and nurse caseworkers, and manage the audit process ensuring that case management meets expected standards
Role Responsibilities include:
- Support DVLA Doctors preparing medical appeal cases and act as an expert or professional witness representing the Secretary of State, when required.
- Provide clinical input to complaints raised against decisions made by the Agency, acting as the final arbiter within DVLA on medical matters affecting driver licensing.
- Undertake GMC re-accreditation on an annual basis, as required and undertake the responsible officer role for all employees involved in medical licensing activity requiring re-validation within DVLA.
- Provide support and facilitation of ongoing education/professional development for DVLA Doctors and Nurse Caseworkers in relation to the application of the medical standards for fitness to drive.
- Proactively engage with the wider Drivers Medical community, including the Secretary of State’s Medical Advisor Panels, to review medical aspects of DVLA’s casework operating instructions to ensure the most efficient and effective business processes are in place to deliver medical standards for driving. In support of this, maintain close working relationships with Strategy and Policy colleagues to ensure that the Secretary of State’s Medical Advisor Panel recruitment is effective and legislative changes and novel/contentious cases are dealt with as effectively as possible.
- Review DVLA Doctors and Nurse Caseworkers audits on completion of training to determine if they are ready for independent practice, providing appropriate support where further action or consolidation is required with their manager or mentor.
Chair regular meetings with DVLA Doctors to discuss:
- medical developments and to receive feedback/information from management colleagues;
- the handling of complex or contentious cases
The sessions will be used to develop and continually improve best practice guides for DVLA Doctors and nurse caseworkers.
- Maintain a close working relationship with external agencies (e.g. GMC, BMA) and other professional bodies (e.g. Medical Royal Colleges) to ensure DVLA activity is aligned to the wider profession and its regulatory bodies.
You will come with a breadth of clinical experience keen to undertake a role where you can add real value to the medical standards we apply. The essential criteria for this role is outlined below.
- Full current registration with the General Medical Council (GMC).
- GMC Medical Licence to practice.
- Member of a Medical Defence Organisation.
- An experienced leader who has worked across a range of senior clinical roles.
- Senior medical professional, recognised as a senior leader in your field
- Experience of leading a team of medical specialists, coaching and driving capability and engagement.
- An excellent communicator who is confident, articulate, professional and resilient with an ability to persuade and influence others. You can effectively balance drive and sensitivity, managing own emotions under pressure with a determination to achieve goals.
- As an experienced leader who has worked across a range of senior clinical roles you will be able to establish positive relationships with people at all levels, gaining credibility with the wider audience of stakeholders, peers and operational teams. You will role model the essential civil service values of integrity, objectivity, impartiality and honesty.
- With significant leadership experience at a senior level in a large, complex and fast paced environment, ideally some of which will have been at a Clinical Director level within the health service.
- A future focused mindset, able to build and implement continual improvement strategies, with a deep understanding of the value that they can bring to the business.
- Ability to challenge skillfully, whilst maintaining strong relationships and the ability to provide coaching on performance and general operational matters.
- Demonstrates experience of leading a team of medical specialists, creating an open, dynamic working environment, which encourages them to flourish and grow.
For further information please click through to apply.
Closing date: 13 December 2018.