Obstetrician Gynaecologist – St Helena – 12 month with option to extend
Seeking a Consultant Obstetrician Gynaecologist for St Helena, South Atlantic. Initially required on a 12 month FTC with the option to extend for a further 12 months
Scope of Work
Working with the other doctors, the nursing team and allied health professionals on the island, the post holder will specifically focus on the development and delivery of a locally relevant, sustainable, robust and effective obstetrics and gynaecological services. There are approximately 30-40 new births per year with 2 midwives on the island.
You will deliver out-patient clinics covering a wide range of clinical needs, including care for patients with diabetes, hypertension, cardio-pulmonary disease which are highly prevalent on the island. You will be actively involved in preventive care and lifestyles management e.g. brief intervention for smoking cessation, weight management and alcohol harm reduction.
With support from overseas specialists and using local therapeutic guidelines and protocols, you will also be expected to consult paediatrics, ENT, ophthalmology patients.
You will be required to take care of in-patients as well as being first on-call approximately every fourth night supporting the nursing staff in the triage and attendance of urgent care and emergencies and be available for obstetrics and gynaecological emergencies to support first on-call. There will be second on-call cover from specialist colleagues in anaesthetics, orthopaedics, general surgery and emergency medicine.
You will participate in training of other healthcare staff, clinical governance work including audits, clinical outcome data collation and reporting. You will be expected to maintain continuous professional development.
The duties of this post shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
Running outpatient clinics at various location of the island every week, including evening clinics;
Actively participate in health promotion and preventative care programmes including providing brief interventions and other lifestyle management support to patients;
Running obstetrics and gynaecology clinics in the general hospital and at other locations
Audit the effectiveness of O&G services and design service plans to improve service delivery and outcomes;
Undertake training of relevant clinical staff including direct supervision;
Participate in on-call rota and attend clinical emergencies and urgent care duties;
Actively participate in incident management, outbreak response and other healthcare emergencies
Undertake all relevant administrative duties including medical record documentation, health data collation and reporting, and other relevant duties
Undertake specialist Duties including the provision of:
- specialist obstetric support to midwives in and after-hours including emergency and elective Caesarean Sections, management of hypertension/diabetes and other chronic conditions during pregnancy; and
- specialist gynaecological services including colposcopies, LLETZ, and endometrial ablations and hysterectomies.
Qualifications and experience
- Full G.M.C. registration or equivalence and good standing with registration authority;
- MRCOG or equivalent. Proficiency in obstetric/gynaecological ultrasonography;
- Experience of endometrial ablation and insertion of tension-free vaginal tape;
- Must be on the UK General Medical Council Specialist Register for O&G or equivalent registration authority in country of practice***
- Fluent in English (oral and written communication); none native English speaker may be asked to provide evidence of proficiency in English language e.g. IELTS
*** Candidates within 6 months of CCT (Certificate of Completion of Training will be considered based on experience)
• BSCCP or equivalent in colposcopy
• Postgraduate clinical experience in general medicine in any specialty
• Overseas experience other than home country (especially in a remote location)
• Recent ATLS, APLS certification or equivalent
• Previous service development experience and/or service management
To find out more, or to apply, contact Jo Hood on +44 (0)131 240 5266 or email firstname.lastname@example.org