Professor and Head of RCSI Department of Pathology and Consultant Histopathologist
Reporting to: As Chair in Pathology, the post-holder will report to the Head of the RCSI School of Medicine, and as Consultant Histopathologist to the CEO of Beaumont Hospital or his/her nominee.
Location: RCSI/Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland.
Contract type/duration: This appointment to the RCSI Hospitals group is on a Type B basis under the Consultants’ Contract 2008, and is structured as a joint 50% clinical and 50% academic post.
Closing date for applications: 5pm on 14th December 2018.
RCSI and Beaumont Hospital are seeking to appoint a senior leader to the position of Professor and Head of RCSI Department of Pathology and Consultant Histopathologist. The successful candidate will be a highly motivated individual with extensive clinical and academic experience, a recognised expert in his/her field with strong executive management experience. S/he will build on departmental achievements to-date, leading the education and research agenda for the next phase of RCSI’s Department of Pathology contribution to Medicine and Healthcare. S/he will inspire colleagues while driving the continuing development of a culture of collegiality and innovation in the Department, and with colleagues across both organisations. As Chair in Pathology, the post-holder will report to the Head of the RCSI School 4 of Medicine, and as Consultant Histopathologist to the CEO of Beaumont Hospital or his/her nominee. The successful candidate will be a member of the RCSI School of Medicine Executive and will provide vision and leadership, to ensure our environment of excellence continues to grow and develop. This appointment to the RCSI Hospitals group is on a Type B basis under the Consultants’ Contract 2008 and is structured as a joint 50% clinical and 50% academic post.
DETAILS OF APPOINTMENT
Appointment of Professor and Head of RCSI Department of Pathology (0.5 FTE)/Beaumont Hospital Consultant Histopathologist (0.5 FTE).
The successful candidate will:
- Be a medically qualified consultant pathologist (FRCPath or similar), registered, or eligible for registration, on the specialist register of the Irish Medical Council in the specialty of Histopathology*
- Have extensive experience as an academic clinician in undergraduate medical education, in content development, teaching and examination
- Demonstrate the vision, leadership, strategic thinking and strategy execution skills, to adopt a significant leadership role in the RCSI School of Medicine, with an ability to lead a diverse team of clinical, academic, administrative and technical professionals in a changing environment to deliver an exceptional student experience
- Demonstrate the ability to influence and manage complex relationships at all levels, maintaining excellent and collaborative working relationships and with proven capability to represent RCSI and Beaumont Hospital in academic, 11 scientific and clinical circles
- Have a substantial track record of research success as evidenced by a strong portfolio of peer-reviewed research publications and grant awards; and by peer recognition of merit through metrics such as invited international speaker opportunities and invitations to membership of high profile committees, recognising your areas of expertise
- Display a thorough knowledge of current international research in pathology, challenges, initiatives and opportunities and their relevance to undergraduate medical education
*The successful candidate must be registered as a Specialist in the relevant specialty on the Specialist Division of the Register of Medical Practitioners maintained by the Medical Council of Ireland before taking up appointment. The candidate is allowed a maximum of 180 calendar days from the date of interview to secure this registration and produce evidence of special interest training where relevant.
*This post is open to applicants who wish to work on a flexible or part-time basis.
Professor and Head of Department of Pathology/Consultant Histopathologist
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
As Professor and Head of RCSI Department of Pathology:
- Providing vision, leadership and inspiration to continually develop the RCSI Department of Pathology, driving the reputation of the discipline of Pathology for RCSI and the RCSI Hospital Group through complementarity in the Department’s educational, clinical and research endeavours:
- Leading the design, delivery and assessment of the Department’s undergraduate education programme in Pathology
- Leading on the research agenda of the Department
These principle responsibilities to be achieved through:
- Assisting in the implementation of the College’s strategic plan and curriculum changes, aligning the work of the department with these college-wide initiatives
- Active participation in the management of the RCSI School of Medicine as a member of the School executive
- Providing operational leadership for the day to day operations of the RCSI Department of Pathology including coaching, developing and advising department staff as appropriate to each individual and the team
- Supporting the implementation of RCSI policies and procedures
- Supporting teaching and examination activities on RCSI’s international campuses, to ensure consistency of standards in the teaching and examination of pathology.
- Chairing and participating in appropriate RCSI Committees
- Being responsible for the RCSI Department of Pathology budgetary processes
- Ensuring compliance with the Health and Safety regulations of both RCSI and Beaumont Hospital
- Working in conjunction with RCSI researchers, providing expertise and resources in pathology in collaborative research programmes.
As Consultant Histopathologist at Beaumont Hospital:
- Delivering excellence in clinical pathology services to Beaumont Hospital:
- Reporting on general histopathology cases
- Participating in presentation at multidisciplinary meetings (MDMs)
- Participating in the provision of the post mortem service
- Providing frozen section service for immediate assessment during surgery
- Teaching trainees in histopathology on a departmental, regional and national level
- Participating in administrative duties
- Participating in a 1:8 rota
- Standard Duties and Responsibilities for all Consultant posts are as per Section 12 of the Consultant’s Contract.
The clinical pathology service is delivered by the Consultant Histopathologists in the department on a clinical full-time equivalent pro-rata rostered basis. The post holder will contribute to the delivery of the service on that basis.
The above is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to him/her from time to time and to contribute to the development of the post while in office.
Contract of Employment
This is a permanent appointment. Detailed terms and conditions will be set out in the formal Contract of Employment.
In line with Irish Health Services Executive (HSE) academic clinician pay scales at professorial level, on a Type B basis under the Consultants’ Contract 2008.
For further details on this post, please contact, Fiona Houlihan by telephone on Tel: +353 (0)1 402 2191 or Email: email@example.com
Applications to be made online by clicking the apply button.