Premier League Medical Advisor
The Premier League is looking to recruit a new consultant Medical Advisor to provide advice and guidance on medical and occupational health matters, both internally within the organisation and to external stakeholders.
The Premier League aims to achieve the highest standards in all areas of its operation and to promote the health and well-being of players of all ages. We are looking for a candidate with broad medical expertise and experience working in a high-performance sporting environment.
The successful candidate will be a consultant, based off-site (but with the facility to work at the Premier League’s offices if required), working no more than 40 days per annum, primarily within the working week.
Who we are
The Premier League is home to some of the most competitive and compelling football in the world. The League and its clubs use the power and popularity of the competition to inspire fans, communities and partners in the UK and across the world. The Premier League brings people together from all backgrounds. It is a competition for everyone, everywhere and is available to watch in over 1 billion homes in 189 countries.
We have a wide variety of responsibilities. These include organising the competition and its Rule Book as well as managing the centralised broadcast and commercial rights. The work we do in conjunction with the Clubs also goes far beyond the 90 minutes. We support and provide a framework for youth development, we protect the organisation’s intellectual property, support the wider game and community programmes, undertake international development work and liaise with governing bodies and other leagues.
The responsibilities of the Medical Advisor will be varied, reflecting the broad nature of the role, but will include:
- Acting as a central point of advice to the Premier League executive on all medical and medico-legal matters. This might include liaising with the Finance department on the League’s central insurance policies, working with our Communications team to help shape the Premier League’s public response to general medical issues and working the Regulatory team to assist in the interpretation and drafting of the Premier League’s medical rules and regulations.
- Providing advice to Clubs, both on an ad hoc basis and as an attendee at the Premier League Doctors’ Group. Attending the PFNCC Health and Safety Sub-Committee, along with the Head of Legal – Football and Regulatory Services, to discuss medical matters with The FA, EFL and PFA.
- Chairing the Premier League’s Medical Working Group, comprising legal, executive and medical representatives from the League and Clubs, formed to address occupational health and risk management issues affecting the Premier League and its Clubs.
- Advising the Board of the Medical Care Scheme and attending quarterly meetings.
- Attending Premier League overseas events (eg, Asia Trophy) as the Premier League’s medical representative.
Requirements for the role
The successful candidate will:
- Be a registered medical practitioner, licensed to practise by the GMC.
- Hold a current Advanced Trauma Medical Management in Football certification.
- Have significant, current experience working in a highly professional sporting environment, ideally within English professional football.
Nice-to-haves for the role
- Knowledge of professional football’s rules and regulations regarding medical matters.
- Expertise in occupational health issues as they affect professional sport.
- The ability to work autonomously.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Preferable not currently contracted to a Premier League Club.
The Premier League is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. All appointments will be made based on merit.
To apply please email by clicking the apply button with your CV and cover letter.
The closing date for applications is Monday 15 October 2018.