Clinical Research Leader Associate Director
The Medical Research Council (MRC), part of UK Research and Innovation (UKRI), funds research within the broad remit of improving human health (https://mrc.ukri.org/). Recognising the symbiotic relationship between researchers and funders, the Executive Chair, Fiona Watt, is seeking to appoint a research-active and internationally respected clinical academic to provide leadership for the MRC’s clinical research activity. It is envisaged the role will be filled via a secondment to the MRC.
The successful applicant will work as part of the MRC senior management team to:
- Represent the MRC in our key outward-facing activities relating to the promotion, development and implementation of MRC-funded clinical research.
- Provide strategic influence for MRC’s clinical research interests in a range of fora, both internal and external to UKRI.
- Provide oversight of MRC’s research programmes in population science, digital science and public health.
- Provide critical thinking to help shape our clinical research funding portfolio and partnership activities, both nationally and with key international players.
You will need:
- A relevant qualification, such as a BSc, MD, PhD; and GMC Registration.
- Post-graduate clinical training.
- Significant experience of leading the development of research agendas in either university or NHS settings.
- Wider leadership experience, e.g. the management of performance at programme, section or departmental level.
The post is based in London, reporting to the Executive Chair, but will involve national and international travel. The time commitment is 2-3 days per week for a fixed term of 2 years, with the potential for renewal for a further 2 years.
For more information and to apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org Your application should include a full CV, a covering letter (of no longer than 2 pages) explaining how the secondment will be mutually beneficial to you and the MRC, and the names of two referees who may be contacted in confidence prior to any interview.
Closing date: 30 September 2018.
Interview date: 26 October 2018.