Clinical Senior Lecturer in Neurosurgical Oncology
College of Medical and Dental Sciences
Institute of Cancer and Genomic Sciences
This is a new Senior Lecturer post in Neurosurgical Oncology with Honorary Consultant status within the College of Medical and Dental Sciences at the University of Birmingham and will be based within the Institute of Cancer and Genomics. There has been a significant expansion in the clinical activity and research activity within Neurosurgery at the University Hospital Birmingham.
The post will be based in the Academic Department of Surgery within the Institute of Cancer and Genomic Sciences. Honorary Consultant status will be provided at the University Hospital Birmingham Trust. The post will facilitate continued development of the neurosurgical oncology service. The successful candidate will be expected to build on this clinical base and help develop clinical trials, translational medicine and basic science projects through close collaboration with academic staff in the School.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record in academic neurosurgery evidenced by publication in peer review journals and the award of a higher degree. The applicant will be expected to have undergone a period of subspecialist training in neurosurgical oncology in a recognised centre with sufficient experience to be awarded an honorary consultant appointment.
The appointee will be expected to demonstrate the ability to develop research initiatives in clinical trials and/or translational research. Evidence of previous supervision of postgraduate research would be welcome and a commitment to assisting clinical research staff in the research training and development of their projects will be expected.
Experience in undergraduate teaching assessment and examination will also be expected. Contribution to the undergraduate teaching course will be part of the post.
- Eligible for GMC Registration
- Inclusion on or within 6 months of inclusion on Specialist Register in Neurosurgery
- FRCS (Surg Neurol) or equivalent
- Higher Degree (PhD or MD)
- Completed higher specialist training in neurosurgery
- Subspecialist interest in neurosurgical oncology
- Existing programme of clinical or translational research in neurosurgical oncology
- Commitment to development of further clinical/translational research with a focus on neuro-oncology
- National academic profile with the potential for developing local, national & international research collaborations.
- Experience in building and leading a multidisciplinary team
- Capable of building strong and effective professional relationships with patients, families and colleagues
- Gains confidence and trust from others
- Able to respond to and cope with change
- Demonstrates honesty and integrity
Starting salary is normally in the range £74,504 TO £100,446
Closing date: 8th July 2018 Reference: 59293
To download the details of this position and submit an electronic application online please click on the Apply Online button below, please quote the appropriate Job Ref in all enquiries, alternatively information can be obtained from www.hr.bham.ac.uk
Valuing excellence; sustaining investment