Lead Occupational Physician
Victoria, Central London
Part time role for 3 days a week
Want to help keep London moving?
Transport for London's Occupational health team is rapidly growing. We are looking for a lead Occupational Physician to join the Nurses, Physiotherapists and Counsellors in our multidisciplinary Occupational Health Department in Central London.
You will be responsible for providing lead occupational medical adviser services to TfL on a wide range of Occupational Health issues and for providing TfL OH input into aspects of TfL planning, strategy and activity.
The aim is to contribute to improved occupational health management of employees, which leads to improved employee engagement, productivity, and attendance.
The impact of the work done by this role potentially extends to £ millions per year, in absence prevented, improved employee performance, employer liability claims prevented or minimised, employment tribunals prevented or won by TfL Group. The role is delivered through demonstrating TfL behaviours in the context of the TfL strategy. There is a focus on delivering high quality, effective and efficient OH services and emphasis on a continuous cycle of improvement.
- Lead in the provision of occupational health advice and guidance to managers and employees.
- Accountable for strategic input and support to a defined customer group and area of specialism (e.g. health surveillance).
- At least 60% of the day to day work will be face to face clinical assessments producing evidence-base senior OH advice on complex and other cases.
- Lead/participate in the provision and organisation of a comprehensive health surveillance programme. Hold HSE appointed doctor status if required.
- Communicate and collaborate with OH colleagues, stakeholders and customers to support excellent management of employee health and work issues (including workplace visits)
- Provide support and training for other clinicians in the multidisciplinary OH team and customers.
- Accountable for undertaking appropriate analysis and presentation of health data, report writing.
- Attend Employment Tribunals and other court cases as required to defend TfL management of OH cases.
- Lead and/or contribute to development and updating of training materials and delivery of training about OH for TfL managers and employees and for OH colleagues.
- Lead and/or contribute to audit and a continuous program of review and improvements as directed by the OH Physician manager (including medical standards and processes).
- Participate and/or lead on clinical governance arrangements for doctor team and support the maintenance of SEQOHS accreditation. Role modelling the 5 TfL behaviours and promoting and encouraging these in the team.
- Lead for TfL OH on internal OH activity and projects as directed by OHP Manager.
- Deputise for the OHP Manager when required (including delivery and strategy).
- Professional competence and excellent professional judgement in an extensive range of complex occupational medical and occupational health issues. (E)
- Excellent communication skills including report writing and presentations to render complex material interesting and easy to understand for non-professional audiences. (E)
- Good partnership and team working. (E)
- Ability to contribute to developing and updating of medical standards for safety purposes.(E)
- Appointed doctor (CLAW regulations) skills (D)
- Fully registered with GMC.(E)
- Have gained the qualification of Associate of Faculty of Occupational Medicine (AFOM) or Member Faculty of Occupational Medicine (MFOM) or international equivalent. (E)
- In depth knowledge of legal required health surveillance provision (including those under Control of Lead at Work Regulations and The Control of Vibration at Work Regulations (E)
- You will have experience of providing supervision for professional staff. (E)
- You should have experience of delivering Occupational Health professional advice in complex organisations. (E)
- Occupational Health experience in a safety critical working environment would be an advantage. (D)
- You could have experience of holding HSE appointed doctor role. (D)
In return for your commitment and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area but mostly include:
- Final salary pension scheme.
- Free travel for you on the TfL network.
- A 75% discount on National Rail Season Ticket and interest free loan.
- 30 days’ annual leave plus public and bank holidays.
- Private healthcare discounted scheme (optional).
- Tax-efficient childcare payments.
- Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme.
- Retail, health, leisure and travel offers.
- Discounted Eurostar travel.
On applying, you will need to supply your CV and a two page covering letter.
To apply please click on the apply button to visit our website.
Closing date: Thursday 21 June 2018 at 23:59.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status