Consultant in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
NHS Medical & Dental: Consultant
Western Sussex Hospitals is a leading acute hospital trust, with rewarding career opportunities for caring, committed and innovative people who wish to be valued for the work they do and empowered to continually improve the services we provide. Here are five reasons to join us:
- Outstanding – we are the only CQC-rated “Outstanding” hospital trust on the south coast of England and one of only five acute hospital trusts in the country to have received the health watchdog’s highest overall rating. (Read our CQC report)
- Top 5 – Western Sussex Hospitals is one the very best hospital trusts in the country to work for, according to the NHS Staff Survey, and among the top five trusts in England where employees are most likely to recommend the care their colleagues provide. (NHS Staff Survey 2017/18)
- We Care – our vision and values are expressed by the phrase We Care – and not just for our patients but for each other as well. The CQC said: “Staff we spoke with were exceptionally compassionate when talking about patients and we observed kindness not only towards patients but towards each other whilst on site.”
- Leading organisation – Western Sussex Hospitals is led by NHS Chief Executive of the Year Marianne Griffiths (HSJ Awards 2016 | No.1 HSJ Top CEOs 2018) and is renowned for outstanding care, excellent staff engagement, innovation and shared learning. Health secretary Jeremy Hunt said: “Western Sussex has the best learning culture I have seen anywhere in the NHS.” [Worthing Hospital, February 2018]
- Location, location, location – our hospitals in Chichester, Worthing and Shoreham-by-Sea are all situated along the beautiful Sussex coast, between the beach and South Downs National Park. West Sussex is regularly cited as one of the UK’s best places to live, boasting beautiful countryside, picturesque villages, vibrant towns, excellent schools and cultural amenities, as well as quick transport links to Brighton, Gatwick Airport, London and Europe.
More about us - Western Sussex Hospitals is an acute trust with three hospitals; Worthing Hospital and St Richard’s Hospital in Chichester, where we provide emergency, inpatient and outpatient care; and Southlands Hospital in Shoreham-by-Sea, where we provide outpatient care and day surgery. The trust also provides a number of services in community settings as well as the West Sussex Sexual Health Service. In April 2017, the senior leadership team took on the management of neighbouring trust Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals, for an initial period of at least three years.
Patient First - in 2015, the trust’s Patient First programme was launched to empower colleagues to make lasting changes that benefit patients and to ensure the organisation continues to improve patient care by introducing lean management best practice at every level of the trust. Daily team huddles are just one example of extensive and ongoing cultural change that makes Western Sussex an exciting place to work. (Watch our video)
Consultant in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (10 PAs)
Applications are invited for the above post of Consultant in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, based in Chichester, part of the Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
The successful candidate will join a team of six Consultants; two whom are currently part time, following retirement.
Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is the only CQC-rated “Outstanding” hospital trust on the south coast and one of only four in the country. We’re an ambitious organisation that champions our people, equipping them with new skills to continually improve services for patients.
The CQC recognised our leading approach continuous improvement which encourages and supports innovation at all levels. We are an acute trust with three hospitals; St Richard’s in Chichester and Worthing Hospital, where we provide emergency and inpatient care; and Southlands Hospital in Shoreham, where we provide out-patient care and day surgery. We are a forward looking and innovative trust whose purpose is to provide high quality emergency and elective care for the people of West Sussex. Foundation Trust Status was achieved in July 2013.
Our hospitals are all situated along the beautiful Sussex coast, nestled against the South Downs National Park, and close to vibrant towns that are richly endowed with excellent cultural and sporting facilities, offering good transport links to London and Europe.
All newly appointed Consultants are mentored, via the “WSHFT Mentorship scheme for senior medical staff”.
Applicants must be on the GMC Specialist Register or within 6 months of attaining Specialist Registration at the time of interview. Applications from candidates who, for personal reasons, are unable to work full-time will be eligible to be considered for this post.
All applicants are required to provide the names and contact details of four referees; three will be clinical referees including one from the current employer (or most recent employer if not currently working) and the final referee will your current Responsible Officer for revalidation.
Please note shortlisted applicants will be asked to provide an up to date CV for their interview.
Applications from Agencies will NOT be considered, therefore please do not send any directly to the department or Medical HR.
All correspondence relating to this vacancy including INVITATIONS TO INTERVIEW WILL BE BY EMAIL ONLY. Please ensure that you check your emails on a regular basis.
Adverts that display a closing date should be treated as a guide. We reserve the right to close the vacancy once we have received sufficient applications, so we advise you to submit your application as early as possible to prevent disappointment.
Applications from job seekers who require Tier 2 sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. The UK Border Agency requires employers to complete this test to show that no suitably qualified EEA or EU worker can fill the post. Further information can be obtained from the UK Border Agency Website.
To apply, please click the apply button.