You are invited for the post of Consultant Histopathologist at the Royal Cornwall Hospital in Truro.
The Department of Diagnostic and Molecular Pathology currently have a full time 10 PA vacancy for a Consultant Histopathologist with the opportunity to take on further clinical sessions once appointed.
Our laboratory is a designated centre for many Cancer sites and has full Clinical Pathology Accreditation. The laboratory receives over 35,000 Histology, approximately 50,000 Cytology (Gynae and non-gynae) and 1,100 autopsy requests. The department is the host site for HPV testing for Peninsula Pathology (PP) and performs a wide range of molecular techniques.
With a proven track record of improving the service, notable achievements in the last couple of years include:
- Molecular automated PCR for theranostic work (e.g Idylla® BRAF) and tumour expression analysis (e.g ALK in lung carcinoma)
- Provision of a EUS and EBUS rapid onsite evaluation service for pancreatic, lung, adrenal with planned expansion for the head and neck service
- Pathology support for Bowel Cancer Screening programme including age expansion and Bowel Scope Screening
- Pathology support for the 100,000 genome project for urology and breast surgery
- Collaborative working with neighbouring hospitals
The department is actively involved in the delivery of the education programme of the University of Exeter and this post will be part of this provision. For new consultants the job plan for this post will include 2.5 SPAs for the first year.
You are required to be on the GMC Specialist Register, or within six months of their expected date of receipt of a CCT/EU equivalent certification at the time of interview. Applications are welcomed from those unable to work full-time for personal reasons or those wishing to job-share.
Informal enquiries regarding this post should be addressed to Dr Hanne-Brit Smethurst by email Hanne-Brit.Smethurst@nhs.net or phone 01872 252550.
To apply for this role and to view further information please click the apply button and enter the appropriate reference number.
Closing date: 29 April 2018.
The Royal Cornwall Hospital is an Equal Opportunities Employer.