Consultant Physician - Special Interest: Stroke Medicine and Acute
Full Time (10 Sessions) Plus 1 temporary additional session
Anticipated Start Date: 02/01/2018
Based Ysbyty Ystrad Fawr, Caerphilly, SE Wales
This is the replacement post for one of the Geriatrician with interest in Stroke based in Ysbyty Ystrad Fawr, Aneurin Bevan University Health Board. The current consultant has retired on 31st December 2017 and this replacement job has been advertised following a Health Board-wide service review including a comprehensive reconfiguration of service for the Acute Medicine and Stroke Medicine within the Unscheduled Care Division and specifically at Ysbyty Ystrad Fawr (YYF). The post holder will also be part of acute stroke on call and TIA services which are based at Royal Gwent Hospital on a sessional basis. The aim is to provide a spectrum of flexible and responsive services for the Medical Directorate and as well as Stroke care for all age groups across the Health Board encompassing:
- A comprehensive Acute Medicine Service for the Borough of Caerphilly
- Development and clinical delivery of comprehensive Stroke services at YYF and RGH
- Support the running of the Medical Assessment Unit and participate in the Adult Medicine take 7 days a week
- Acute inpatient assessment and treatment
- Hospital based Stroke care and rehabilitation services
- General and specialist outpatient clinics
- Support and training of medical staff, nurses and other members of the MDT
- To provide effective leadership to multidisciplinary staff members
- To develop teaching and research with the organisation
The potential for Health Board Wide developments and a closer liaison with Intermediate Care and Frailty Services; Primary Care and Social Services is substantial and exciting. A major expansion in undergraduate medical student teaching is newly established.
The appointee will be based at Ysbyty Ystrad Fawr with visiting sessions to RGH as per job plan. Care of the elderly is part of the Unscheduled Care Division and currently provides acute medical care (within the hospital and in the community), rehabilitation assessment and treatment, intermediate care and stroke as well as running general and specialist clinics.
Those wishing to discuss the post informally in the first instance or arrange a visit to the department should contact Dr Inderpal Singh, Clinical Director YYF, Tel 01443 802234 or Dr Deborah Wales, Divisional Director, ABUHB, Tel 01633 238466.
Alternatively, please click the apply button.
This position involves Regulated Activity with adults as defined by the Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act (amended by the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012) and the following checks will be undertaken following any conditional offer:
- Enhanced check with barred list information, including an adults barred list check
Applicants must hold or be eligible to hold full registration and a licence to practice with the GMC.Candidates for Consultant posts must also be on the GMC Specialist Register (including via CESR/European Community Rights) or will have a CCT/CESR(CP) date within 6 months of interview.
This post is not included on the current UK Shortage Occupation List and is subject to the rules outlined in the attachment ‘Resident Labour Market Test Guidance’.
Closing Date for Applications: Midnight on 18th March 2018.
Interview Date: 19th April 2018.