Specialty Doctor in Infectious Diseases

Sheffield, South Yorkshire
MC46 (£37,923 - £70,718 per annum)
22 Nov 2017
26 Dec 2017
Career Level
Specialty doctor
Contract Type
Full Time

Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is one of the UK’s busiest and most successful NHS foundation trusts.

Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Directorate of Specialised Medicine


Applications are invited for an 8 PA Specialty Doctor in Infectious diseases to the Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. This post has arisen due to a relocation Overseas and is permanent in nature.

The Department of Infection and Tropical Medicine (ID Unit) is a highly active clinical unit consisting of 33 dedicated beds, 17 of which are single with en-suite cubicles and continuously monitored negative pressure ventilation. It is on floor E of the Royal Hallamshire Hospital. Patients with a wide range of infections are admitted as secondary and tertiary referrals from general practice, accident and emergency and transfer from other hospitals. The overall number of ID admissions per year is approximately 2,000 including over 200 returning travellers.

The Department has an active outpatient service with six general infectious diseases clinics per week for new and follow up patients. In addition there are specialist clinics every week in HIV, hepatitis B and C, tuberculosis, and travel & vaccination medicine. These are multidisciplinary, and conducted with specialist nursing and other staff. There is a busy and growing Travel and Vaccination service. A new clinic for assessing and managing acute “hot cases” referred by GPs and other hospital departments and ward follow ups, is also being planned. Both doctors and nurses provide consultations for patients, who self-refer. The service is profit-generating, with all profits coming into the NHS.

The Department runs a busy and growing outpatient intravenous antibiotic service (OPAT) which currently treats upwards of 600 patients per year with a wide variety of clinical conditions, and saves over 6000 bed days across the Trust. The service runs seven days per week and is multi-disciplinary, with medical, specialist nursing and pharmacy involvement, and is seeking to further expand its services to the wider community.

Informal visits are encouraged and should be arranged through Janet Hanson, PA to Professor S T Green, Clinical Lead, on telephone number (0114) 271 3562

For more information and to apply for this position, please click the Apply button

Closing Date: 26 December 2017

Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust promotes Equality of opportunity and Diversity within the workplace.

Disclosure and Barring Service Check

This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.

Tier 2 Certificate of Sponsorship

Applications from job seekers who require Tier 2 sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. The UK Visas and Immigration department requires employers to complete this test to show that no suitably qualified EEA or EU worker can fill the post. For further information please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website.

From 6 April 2017, Tier 2 skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, must present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) will also be subject to this requirement.

Guidance can be found here Criminal Records Checks For Overseas Applicants

UK Registration

Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see applying from overseas.