Associate Professor or Full Professor, Head of the Paediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
With more than 14,000 students and nearly 4,000 collaborators, professors and researchers, ideally located on the shores of Lake Geneva and in the city centre, the Faculty of Biology and Medicine (FBM) of the University of Lausanne and the Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois (CHUV) are inviting applications for a position of :
Associate Professor or Full Professor,
Head of the Paediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
Starting date: 1 August 2018 or as agreed Place of work: Switzerland, Lausanne
The SIP Unit, which is part of the Division of Paediatrics and the Woman, Mother, Child Department (DFME) and is part of the future Children’s Hospital (horizon: 2020-21), has 12 beds equipped for all areas of intensive care medicine dedicated to infants and children, with a particular expertise in heart surgery and laryngeal-tracheal surgery. The unit offers highly specialized resources such as extracorporeal circulatory assistance and paediatric post-cardiac transplant care. Given in addition an excellent, interdisciplinary medical and scientific environment, the unit is recognized as a major reference centre.
The main tasks in the position include
- leading the PICU teams and adapting its organization to optimize quality of care, teaching, and research, including risk management
- ensuring and improving institutional missions of care, in accordance with the existing practices and arrangements
- contributing to the definition of the clinical and academic development strategy of the Division of Pediatrics and assuming responsibility for its application in the PIC Unit;
- participating in and developing postgraduate and continuing training missions dedicated to the next generation
- ensuring academic research and teaching missions by planning resources and developing ad hoc projects
- ensuring the outreach of the unit at the regional, national and international levels.
- Paediatric specialist (ISFM diploma or equivalent), specialist diploma in paediatrics (ISFM or equivalent) and intensive medicine specialist diploma, paediatric curriculum (ISFM or equivalent)
- Extensive clinical experience
- Advanced managerial skills (previous successful management of teams and projects)
- Professorial level of academic knowledge with proven teaching practice;
- Ability to develop an autonomous, internationally-oriented research line financed by competitive funds
- Capacity for interdisciplinary and networking collaboration
- A good knowledge of French (or the ability to acquire it quickly) is essential for this position.
Preference will be given to a personality open to communication and cooperation, able to stimulate young colleagues who contemplate an academic career. Further information can be obtained from Professor Umberto Simeoni or Prof Lucas Liaudet, President of the selection committee
Applications should include a cover letter, a curriculum vitae, a list of scientific publications with a copy of the five most significant papers, a list of external funding obtained, a brief description of the research program, copies of diplomas. They must be sent as a single PDF file to September 10th, 2017 at https://wwwfbm.unil.ch/releve/application/. The specifications and description of the activities of the Service are also available on the same link (or QR code). In order to promote equitable representation of women and men among their staff, the University and the University Hospital Centre encourage female candidates.