Chief Medical Officer (CMO)
Salary: £negotiable + bonus + 27 days holiday + benefits
Dorking with UK travel.
Full-time or Part time considered
Unum are looking for a Chief Medical Officer (CMO) to provide leadership for a team of Company Medical Officers. As CMO you will also be expected to participate as a member of the Customer Care Division Senior Management Team in the development of the Customer Care Philosophy.
Your role is to take responsibility for ensuring that appropriate medical standards are applied in support of the company’s disability risk management, medical underwriting, external affairs, product development, marketing, distribution and employee occupational health activities.
We are Unum (pronounced you-num) and we’re one of the UK’s leading financial protection insurers; that means we sell Income Protection, Critical Illness cover and Life Insurance. You may not have heard of us before, so you probably don’t know that we’ve been around for over forty years and insure more people under our Income Protection products than Aviva, Legal and General, or Canada Life – companies you’re more likely to have heard of. We are working towards becoming the Employee Benefits provider of choice for working Britain.
What you will be doing…
• You will ensure that all of Unum’s activities in the field of Medical Underwriting, claims management, rehabilitation, external affairs, product development, marketing, distribution and employee health are underpinned by the highest standards of evidence based disability assessment medicine.
• Provide assurance to leaders and senior managers within Unum that the medical aspects of decisions and actions taken by their staff are of the highest possible order.
• In conjunction with the Medical Underwriting team review and develop the company’s medical underwriting and claims management philosophies to ensure that these are in line with the latest developments of disability risk management and in line with the company’s appetite for the acceptance of insurance risk.
• Provide a personal input into individual medical underwriting, claims management and customer feedback decisions, to ensure that where issues of high medical complexity arise, these are subjected to expert analysis.
• Ensure that the written policies and guidance to staff on the application of the principles of disability assessment medicine are up to date and of the highest possible quality.
• To maintain liaison with a network of external experts in disability assessment medicine and related fields to ensure that his own knowledge is kept up to date and that internally applied standards in all aspects of the company’s medical activities would satisfy external medical scrutiny.
• To ensure that, in liaison with Human Resources, the highest possible quality occupational health service is available to all staff and to support the company’s written HR policies.
• Working with external affairs in relation to representing Unum externally as required.
We are looking for…
Required Knowledge and Skills:
• Understanding of the principles of Disability Assessment Medicine Diploma of Disability Assessment Medicine or equivalent.
• Proven leadership skills in multidisciplinary teams.
• Knowledge and experience of Occupational Health. Diploma of Occupational Medicine or equivalent, preferably accredited specialist in Occupational Medicine.
• Good communication skills – ability to communicate complex medical reasoning to non medical people at all levels
• Commercial experience.
• Systems training to include AWD, word and excel.
• Need 2 Know and ICOB training
• All corporate management training courses
• Registered Medical Practitioner, continuing professional development as prescribed by relevant bodies.
Minimum entry criteria:
• Registered Medical Practitioner
• Extensive post-registration medical experience preferably within General Practice and Occupational or Disability Medicine
• Management experience
• Commercial experience
• Knowledge of a range of different work environments
• DDAM, Diploma Occupational Medicine as minimum, preferred accredited specialist in Occupational Medicine
This is a great opportunity to work for a UK subsidiary of a global organisation, we look after our employees, offer a great work-life balance, generous benefits, a professional challenge and fantastic career opportunities.
Learn more about us and our benefits from our website http://www.unum.co.uk/careers
If you would like to discuss this role, please call for a confidential chat on 01306 873248 or click the apply button to apply.