Senior Director Physician – Early Oncology
Senior Director Physician – Early Oncology
Position: Senior Director Physician – Early Oncology
Locations: Cambridge, UK or Boston, US
Salary: Very competitive with excellent benefits
Ongoing investment in our industry-leading early oncology development pipeline has opened several exciting opportunities within our Oncology Translational Medicine Unit. These positions can be based in either of our key oncology R&D sites: Cambridge, UK or Boston, USA.
At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality.
We are leaders in science and medicine, pushing the boundaries of what is possible every day. That’s why we have cultivated an environment of excellence and open global collaboration, together with a strong track record of publications. Our entrepreneurial spirit gives our scientists and clinicians the courage to take smart risks and not be discouraged by failure - we empower our people to not only keep abreast of the latest developments and breakthroughs, but to drive them.
It is our mission to lead the right molecules in to the clinic, determine the right doses and exposures for those molecules, in the right patient populations, whilst ensuring we do so to the highest scientific and clinical standards. Our talented people lead this important work by designing and delivering innovative clinical studies, integrating data, informing research and development, and accelerating target validation. Putting patients first, and safely and ethically pursuing opportunities where we will have a truly positive impact on healthcare in areas of major unmet need is core to our value set.
As part of the Early Clinical Development function within AstraZeneca, ours is the place where science meets the patient. We work closely with our colleagues in Bioscience, Discovery Sciences, Drug Safety and Metabolism, Pharmaceutical Sciences and Personalised Healthcare and Biomarkers amongst others, on drug target identification, lead optimization and candidate drug selection, and across the early phases of small molecule clinical drug development in oncology through to the end of Phase 2 and determination of proof of concept.
By building a diversity of expertise and experience in the oncology Translational Medicine Unit, it is our intention to create a global centre of excellence at AstraZeneca in pharma training for oncologists joining the industry.
- Be the senior clinical resource within your allocated cross-functional innovative medicines project teams of experienced drug developers.
- Be integral to the design, conduct, monitoring, data interpretation, reporting and publication of all clinical studies across the early clinical development portfolio for that project or projects.
- Serve as the accountable medical leader for a specific early development project or projects.
- Develop and mentor more junior clinicians within the unit, and contribute to the functional leadership of the unit.
- Deputise for the head of the unit on internal and external issues as needs require.
- Be agile, pioneering and collaborative in your position as the key medical contact for allocated projects, ensuring the ethical and scientific integrity of all activities, and in compliance with Good Clinical Practice and all relevant regulatory requirements.
- Create personal networks within AstraZeneca, and draw upon our world-class, specialist early oncology development community to ensure peer-reviewed and collaborative clinical input into translational science, personalised healthcare and biomarker, quantitative clinical pharmacology, bioinformatics and other development-related strategies to assure the very highest standards of quality, and scientific and clinical validity.
- Be actively internally and externally facing, including both high-level and detailed interactions with regulatory agencies, ethics committees, clinical investigators, site staff and study monitors, disease area thought leaders, CRO employees and the wide community of other professionals involved in the clinical development process.
- Maintain a high degree of awareness of new and emerging medical developments, and rapidly and accurately integrate and effectively communicate all sources of data, internal and external, relevant to your project(s) to inform our ongoing research and development.
You will have:
- An MD degree or equivalent from a recognized school of medicine
- Specialty training or board eligibility in medical oncology (or a closely allied field)
- Either substantial pharmaceutical industry experience, or extensive experience in clinical oncology practice, and a proven track record in clinical oncology research and publication
- A track record of being responsive to scientific data, with an ability to demonstrate how you have followed and adapted to emerging science and innovation in your research
- A collaborative outlook with a natural ability to work in teams and across functions in an environment of peers, along with a flexible and entrepreneurial spirit and a real willingness to roll up your sleeves
- Strong written and spoken English skills, with the ability to present, write and review technical clinical documents and reports
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally
Desirable skills and attributes include:
- An oncology-focussed PhD
- Prior work experience within the pharmaceutical industry, or of working with it
- Work experience across multiple organizations and geographies
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply now to join us and help us turn ideas into life-changing medicines.
Applications open: 26th May 2017. Applications close: 30th June 2017.