Company Medical Officer
Company Medical Officer
Salary: £negotiable + bonus + 27 days holiday + benefits
Dorking or Basingstoke based with UK travel.
Full-time or part-time (minimum 2 days per week)
Unum are looking for a Company Medical Officer to join our organisation.
To provide specialist medical information and interpretation of complex medical reports to Unum's Customer Care department, Medical Underwriters and all other areas of the company as appropriate to assist in the risk assessment and claims management process.
This role is accountable for providing support to the Chief Medical Officer and Head of Claims to ensure medical standards are applied in supporting the company's disability risk management.
We are Unum (pronounced you-num) and we’re one of the UK’s leading financial protection insurers; that means we sell Income Protection, Critical Illness cover and Life Insurance. You may not have heard of us before, so you probably don’t know that we’ve been around for over forty years and insure more people under our Income Protection products than Aviva, Legal and General, or Canada Life – companies you’re more likely to have heard of. We are working towards becoming the Employee Benefits provider of choice for working Britain.
What you will be doing…
• Participate as a member of the Medical Services Management Team in the development of the Customer Care Philosophy and take key responsibility for applying appropriate medical standards in support of the company's disability risk management and medical underwriting
• Apply the disciplines of disability assessment medicine to the claims assessment process to assist in the fair management of claims
• Visit claimants as necessary to determine incapacity, review progress and assess prognosis with the purpose of providing clear and unbiased information to claims managers to assist them in determining the appropriate management
• Provide advice to our Medical Underwriters on issues relating to the evaluation of risks to ensure consistent and fair decisions are made
• Support the Chief Medical Officer to ensure clinical governance and quality of our medical function (Doctor and Nurse teams)
• Support our Customer Solutions strategy by demonstrating our in-house medical capability
• In conjunction with our Vocational Rehabilitation Consultants, assist in providing appropriate medical support to job retention and rehabilitation activities in order to prevent claims and / or reduce their duration
• Work to maintain Unum's leading position in the field of disability management and its relationship to work, through involvement in and promotion of research and educational activities and developing strategic industry and occupational health relationships
• Maintain the ability to practice in accordance with the appropriate guidelines or codes of conduct laid down by the relevant professional bodies
• Work with and assist our Customer Solutions Department in developing relationships with key clients and providers in order to improve customer relations where appropriate.
We are looking for…
• An ability to assess medical and other information using disability assessment medicine principles to provide evidence based and clearly justified advice on what this information indicates regarding claimants’ functional impairments and abilities
• Able to explain medical conditions and terminology to non-medical colleagues, so that they are able to make informed decisions
• Able to train non-medical colleagues in understanding medical terminology and on the impact of health on ability
• Ability to use systems - AWD, Outlook, CMS, Wise, Sure
• Good knowledge of products and the nature of the business
• Good understanding of the Equality Act and its applicability in employment situations.
• Need to Know and ICOB training
• Continuous Professional Training at least sufficient to maintain registration with the General Medical Council and maintain any specialist accreditation
• Training in systems in use at Unum (AWD, CMS) On the job familiarisation and orientation into Income Protection Insurance.
Minimum Entry Criteria:
• Registered Medical Practitioner
• Significant experience post-registration
• Proven experience in disability assessment medicine/Occupational Health preferred
• Possession of the DDAM preferred
• Experience and possession of a qualification in Occupational Medicine (Dip Occ Med, AFOM or MFOM) would be an advantage,
This is a great opportunity to work for a UK subsidiary of a global organisation, we look after our employees, offer a great work-life balance, generous benefits, a professional challenge and fantastic career opportunities.
Learn more about us and our benefits from our website http://www.unum.co.uk/careers
If you would like to discuss this role, please call for a confidential chat on 01306 873248 or to apply please click the apply button.