Fixed Term 1.0FTE Staff Specialist – Service Director Intestinal Failure Program
Upper GI / Colorectal Surgery / Gastroenterology / Nutrition
(CONJOINT APPOINTMENT WITH THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY)
Applications are invited from suitably qualified medical practitioners for the above position in the Western Sydney Local Health District. The position will be primarily located at Westmead Hospital as a collaborative role between the Division of Medicine & Cancer Services (DMCS) and Division of Surgery & Anaesthetics.
Successful applicants will be responsible for the overall leadership, development and establishment of an intestinal failure service across WSLHD but based out of Westmead Hospital as the principle referral site.
The position will be for an initial period of three (3) years and may be extended based on funding and clinical need.
Successful applicants will be offered a conjoint university appointment within the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Sydney. The level of academic appointment will be commensurate with the qualifications, experience and scholarship and will be held only during the tenure of the Western Sydney Local Health District appointment. No remuneration is attached to the University appointment. The appointee will be responsible to the University for academic matters and to the District for clinical matters.
Appointees may be eligible for credentialing and privileging across all other facilities in the Western Sydney Local Health District.
Working with Children Check
Applicants must provide evidence of a Working with Children Check issued by the Office of Communities Commission for Children and Young People. For more information on how to apply for the clearance, please visit the Commission for Children and Young People website: http://www.kidsguardian.nsw.gov.au/Working-with-children/working-with-children-check.
It is essential for all applicants to contact the Specialist Medical and Dental Recruitment Unit on 8838 2094 or email WSLHD-SMADR@health.nsw.gov.aufor an application package. All selection criteria must be addressed in your application. Applications must be received by 5pm on this date. All applications are to be forwarded to the SMADR Unit, Locked Bag 7118, Parramatta, BC NSW 2124.
- Possess or be eligible for registration with the Medical Board of Australia and Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (FRACP) either / or Fellowship of the Royal Australian College of Surgeons (FRACS) or equivalent as provided for in the Staff Specialists (State) Award. Appropriate accreditation or be eligible for accreditation in endoscopic procedures (if a gastroenterologist).
- Sound clinical knowledge in intestinal failure, inflammatory bowel disease and total parental nutrition in the adult and adolescent setting demonstrated through successful clinical practice in an environment appropriate to the requirements of the position.
- Demonstrated skills and attitudes appropriate for practice as a Senior Medical Practitioner including:
- High level interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability working within a multidisciplinary team.
- Experience and involvement in quality assurance activities and evidence-based best practice.
- Demonstrated commitment to teaching and supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a multidisciplinary team and implement a multidisciplinary approach to care delivery.
- Demonstrated ability to support the needs of patients across a range of settings including community / outpatient and inpatient environments and deliver innovative models of care within a changing health environment.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee the PEG / J insertion service.
- Experience as a senior manager or department head with demonstrated ability to oversee the operation of medical, nursing and nutritional clinics related to the service and define key performance metrics to ensure quality and success is measured.
- Establish and deliver staff education, research and training as core elements of the service in partnership with the key stakeholders in the service.